photojournal, sewing, travel

Inspired by the 90s

Hello friends and family.

Earlier this summer my mother and I went thrift shopping in Lillyhammer. I found a beautiful floral button down dress that sadly did not fit as I am far from a szL. My mother saw the dress and immediately decided decided to buy the dress. She let me borrow the dress so that I could draft a pattern based of it.

The time from drafting the pattern to having a finished dress was about three days, so this has certainly been one of my quicker projects.  Originally the 90s dress my mother bought had gathers in the front bodice instead of darts. I found that gathers in the front wasn’t doing my body any favours so I ditched the original design a bit and ended up using a lil bit more fabric than anticipated.

The dress features a open triangle peephole kind of back, v-neck, waist yoke, button down front and bias binding finish.

I’m already playing around with the thought of making another one as I really loved the fit and flare of this dress

I used 3m of my linen curtain stash, which was also originally red. I tried dying it black using herdins, but ended up with a dark brown due to the red undertones. I wore this dress as much as I could in Crete, as it is light weight and comfortable to wear.

sewing

FKA curtains

Hello friends and family, this week I’ve been a busy sewing bee, I actually completed two dresses. Sadly one of them ended up a silky mess, even more sadly it was my favorite silk fabric, that I had saved for the perfect dress. Oh well cut is cut and there’s no way back. Anyhow I do have a dress to show, and again as you might have guessed it’s made of of curtain fabric. It was a beautiful red linen fabric I used pre dye on and fudged up a bit.

Five years ago when I started to sew I would always sketch up these sun dresses I wanted to sew, of course retro inspired, and this week I finally did. And to my surprise not every garment I make needs to have hand stitching or tailoring touches. This dress is only made with easy peasy sewing techniques and if I hadn’t fudged up during the first fitting (I didn’t bother to fit) I would have finished it in a day.  I had a real struggle with the buttons though, not having enough to stop the bust from gaping I simply added snap buttons from prym where the gaping occurred.

I used 2.5M of fabric, 200m of gutherman thread, about 1m of bias tape, 11 buttons, cotton interfacing and snap buttons. Dye used is dylon intense violet.

photojournal, sewing

Linen curtains // Greece

Recently my method of getting large quantities of fabric without ending up with a dusty wallet, has been curtains. I purchase them at sales and rip up all the seams. doing this I’ve ended up with 20m of linen fabric. It would have been a lot cheaper had I not decided to remove the original dye, only to re-dye the fabric.

Originally I wanted this garment to be a  double breasted dress, but I ended up hating the finished result. After a few adjustments, the dress has become a wardrobe favorite and it became essential in the hot Grecian weather. I found it more comfortable than my silk garments.

 

My dude and I spent a week in Greece, it took me seven years and some bribes and a pinch of blackmail to get him into a plane. The funny part is he actually enjoyed it and now wants to travel the world. it was my first time in the mainland and his first time in Greece. He instantly fell in love and every meal he tasted was the best he ever had. Being the explorer he is, the vacation wasn’t always as relax as I hoped for. But it was filled with discovering «secret» places.  

text post

gone, but here

Hello friends and family.

I’ve been having a difficult sewing year, ever since making the «heart» dress. My beloved pfaff 360 said good night, and my new sewing machine had to go to the repair shop after two months. One would think I was giving my machines a really hard time, but I guess it’s just bad luck.

Although I haven’t sewn anything I’m proud of I’m still going to take some pictures and show them. It’s time to start blogging again, even if I sew something I don’t like, or something I use forever to finish. Sewing is difficult, esp when stressed. I tend to forget everything  when I’m stressed and end up making time consuming mistakes, which leads to sewing death. These past weeks I’ve been working with silk and linen, and I’ve come to REALLY disliking silk. Why won’t it lay the way I want it to? No wonder it’s exclusive…

To buy my new sewing machine I had to sell some clothes, ok, a lot of clothes. And without thinking I sold all of my summer clothes, which is unfortunate given I’ll be going to Greece in two weeks so these past days I’ve been working like a horse to sew some easy breeze clothes. I’ve forgotten all about a good working position which has taken it’s toll on my back. I’ll try to sit up more straight tomorrow.

 

sewing

Heart on my chest

This year for Christmas I wanted to make my own outfit. When I was picturing the design of the garment I knew I wanted a heart cut out on the chest, and I knew I wanted it to be a «little black dress». I drew one sketch and quickly began to draft the pattern. The dress is made out of a medium weight wool fabric, it has a silk charmeuse lining, a heart cut out, pockets, v-back and concealed zipper.

 

My favourite thing about knowing how to sew is that I finally have clothes that looks good on me and that hugs my body the way I want it to, finding ready-to-wear clothing as a fat person yet alone trying them on in a fluorescent dressing room, is hell. Now I don’t have to stress in a dressing room and get depressed that graded patterns doesn’t fit me. Now I even get to decide how it’s going to look all the way down to what kind of interfacing I want to use.